I crave Story. In any format: Book, TV show, Screenplay, Magazine Article, while my curiosity craves Information. Both elements of Story and Information can be found in my list of MUST-HEAR podcasts below. Come on! It’s the dog days of summer… You can take a lazy hour here, or there, to binge one or two of these, or just devour one on a long road trip (preferably to the beach).
- You Must Remember This by Karina Longworth – This podcast is about the secret and/or forgotten history of Hollywood’s first century. My favorite summer listen are the six salacious episodes dedicated to the rise of Joan Crawford, Six Degrees of Joan Crawford. Follow it up with Ryan Murphy’s ‘FEUD: Betty Davis & Joan Crawford’ and you’ve discovered the perfect cocktail of delicious drama.
- That’s So Retrograde with Elizabeth Kott and Stephanie Simbari – My sister and I are all about some alternative healing right now. Acupuncture. Intuitive Readings. Astrology and Moon Cycles. Homeopathic remedies. Crystals (more me, not her. I’m digging some crystal healing lately!). Anyway, these two gals dig into all the woo woo stuff and make it feel approachable, especially if you’re not someone who opens a conversation talking about your “aura.” They make the woo woo relatable, and their funny to boot. Make sure to check out their Summertime Cosmic Forecast episode – Watch out guys, the end of July into early August is going to be a doozy!
- Scriptnotes with Craig Mazin and John August – This podcast is all about screenwriting! One of my favorite topics. August (Big Fish) and Mazin (The Hangover) are notable screenwriters in Hollywood, and in this informational podcast they cover the craft (fun!) and the business (boo…) of screenwriting, and how to merge the two to have a successful career. Or not. These two don’t mince words. If you’re not meant to write, you’ll find out through listening to them dive into the process. I respect their honesty, and wish they were my best friends.
- Up and Vanished with Payne Lindsey – WARNING. This is one of the podcasts you’ll end up binging! Especially since we’re nearing the end of the season… Up and Vanished is an investigative podcast that explores the unsolved disappearance of Georgia beauty queen and high school teacher, Tara Grinstead. The 11-year-old cold case is the largest case file in the history of Georgia, and you get a first hand view as Payne Lindsey delves into old case evidence and re-interviews persons of interest.
- The Business with Kim Masters – If you’re not immersed in the entertainment business like I am, this podcast might not be interesting… But, if you are. You must listen to this NOW, and shame on you for just figuring that out! Kim Masters of The Hollywood Reporter starts the podcast off with the top industry stories of the week. Not US Weekly headlines, but stories about the business of the industry. Who left what studio to work for Netflix. What films are being made at what budget, then losing money at the box office. Who’s been shaking things up this week, and how! After the Hollywood banter, Kim delves into in-depth interviews with various showrunners, directors, producers. A stand-out episode for me was her interview with Allen Hughes on the experience of directing ‘The Defiant Ones’ on HBO. It covers a narrative filmmakers take on documentary film, and how Hughes made his doc stand out, and it’s not just because he interviews Gods of the music industry. Aka: Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine, Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Gwen Stefani, etc.
- S-Town hosted by Brian Reed – Every episode of this podcast came out in one day. I devoured it in two days, but savored it while I ingested it and digested it after. It’s a character study. A murder mystery. A tear-jerker. It’s an inside look on the dirty South, but most of all… It’s a podcast that is completely authentic, unique, and a narrative you won’t soon forget.